[TenTec] Transmission line loss due to SWR

Rob Atkinson, K5UJ k5uj at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 5 10:47:19 EDT 2005

One of the reasons why I chose to use open wire feedline for one of my
antennas, was that I could not get it big enough to use on the lowest
frequency I wanted to operate on with it, and I read in the QST article, The
Lure of the Ladder Line, that the loss with coaxial feed goes way up when
the load starts getting small with respect to wavelength, say around 1/3 w.
  With a balanced parallel wire feed the loss goes up also, but not nearly
as much.     There is a limit to what you can get away with though--my loop
is 1 w. a bit up above 4 mhz and I can use it anywhere on 80 m. but it would
be a poor antenna on 160.

rob/k5uj