[TenTec] Using a TT Omni VI+ with non-TT amplifiers ( Bill -W5HTG

Luther Phillips n4uw at chartertn.net
Thu Oct 27 18:04:52 EDT 2005

Bill, I used to have an Ameritron AL-80A with the internal PIN-5 QSK switch,
which is the same setup, I believe, as your SB-1000. I used it successfully
with both an Omni-V and Omni-VI on QSK CW. You need to make sure you have
the correct cable connections between the two- it takes two RCA audio
cables. One goes from the TX OUT jack on the Omni-VI to the KEY IN on the
amp, and the other goes from the KEY OUT (not sure of the jack labels on the
amp, it's been awhile) on the amp to the TX EN jack on the Omni-VI, if I
remember correctly. The other keying relay in the Omni is not used in this
setup, and it can be disabled. Adjusting the delay time on this relay has no
effect on the rig's QSK. The connections as described above allow the keying
signal from the radio to key the amp, and the amp in turn actually keys the
radio.
Hope this is of some help.
73,
Luther N4UW