[TenTec] jupiter

Caitlyn M. Martin mizuhoradio at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 31 17:03:08 EST 2005

Hi, Ron, and everyone else,

The first few Field Days I participated in we had Ten
Tec Argosy transceivers with all the filters.
Equipped that way they stood their own very nicely.
I've been kind of hooked on the Argosy ever since
because it is so inexpensive and performs so well.
Just make sure you get one with a serial number over
425 or that the mods to lower the noise floor and stop
AGC popping have been done.

If you want to spend a little more a Corsair will
definitely hold up under contest conditions.

Another interesting option would be the Argonaut V
with, if your club can afford one, a Tokyo Hy-Power
HL-200BDX with the fan option.  At 10W in it will give
you around 175-180W out.  With the fan option THP
claims you can run 20W in for 350W out with no
problem.

FWIW, THP has some amps going through the FCC
certification process now.  They expect to be back in
the U.S. market early in 2006.  If the FCC's NPRM
relaxing the rules on amps with low power drive does
become an R&O do expect to see the HL-700, HL-200BDX,
and HL-100BDX to go through the certification process
as well.

I have not owned a Jupiter so I can't honestly
comment, but you asked about older radios as well :)

73,
Caity
K7VO

Caitlyn M. Martin - K7VO
http://www.mizuhoradio.com/personal/k7vo
Blog: http://k7vo.blogspot.com
ARRL QRP-ARCI #11018 ARS #445 G-QRP #11577 AK QRP #637