[TenTec] Orion II

Don Rasmussen wb8yqj at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 15 11:12:54 EDT 2005

I was shocked that the display which was clearly a
prototype meant to get the box up and working actually
ended up being the production design. B&W is one
thing, but the alphabet soup nature of the tags in
those boxes around the screen are another. Also font
niggles on main & sub display.

If the attention to detail on the display -and- in the
box are present in Orion II I'll find the dough for
one of these at some time in the future. Probably
sooner rather than later.

If not, we'll stick with and enjoy the VI+ and CII.
Instant on, easy to look at, fun to listen to, and
comparatively inexpensive.

---------------------
Re: [TenTec] Orion II
from [Grant Youngman] [Permanent Link][Original]
Date:  Thu, 15 Sep 2005 08:50:41 -0500

> It is more than strange, it's bizarre.   Am i to
understand there is a display ad in QST that either
doesn't show the rig, or shows the Orion 1?

No, it shows something "in-between" the Orion and
Orion II -- with the black and white display "curled"
at one corner to reveal a color rainbow underneath.
The radio has an Orion II logo.  Other than that and
the screen, it's pretty clear the two boxes look the
same from the front.

I'm less concerned about "strange" (I don't see it
quite that way) than just seeing the new display in
the flesh :-)

More than that, I'm hoping the release of 2.0 isn't
too far away.  I'd like to be able to try it on my
Orion before the II shows up on the doorstep.

Grant/NQ5T