[TenTec] Orion 2

Rob Atkinson, K5UJ k5uj at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 16 11:07:12 EDT 2005

Ron, Ron, relax--it's a frigging radio company.  let's look at this thing
apart from emotions.

Firstly, QST does not close months ahead of publication.
For the October issue, the deadline for space reservations was Wednesday,
August 17th.  The deadline to deliver copy to ARRL was Monday, August 22.
Therefore, the idea that they had to have their layouts at ARRL months ago
doesn't wash.
In any event, the Ten Tec website has all kinds of information about the
Orion 2 with photos of the Orion 1.  They could snap some digital photos and
have them up there in a matter of hours if they wanted to, but have not done
that either.   Is there something wrong with saying that that is bizarre?
Face it--it is at a minimum, unusual, given that they are taking orders,
without letting you see the rig.

If Ford rolled out a new 2006 model pickup truck but only had photos of one
from a few years ago, would you think that was okay and order one?

I accept that the QST ad is a "teaser" and sure, that's been done before,
most recently by Yaesu with their FT9000 "DX DNA" ads, or whatever they
were, that only showed the 9000's S meter detail, but they weren't taking
orders for the FT9000 then either.

My comments were based on a question (Am I to understand there is a display
ad in QST that either doesn't show the rig, or shows the Orion 1?) and by
the wording meant that everything that followed was on the condition that
the answer to the question was yes.  Well, it turns out the answer is sort
of yes/no so I was to some extent shooting from the hip and for that I
apologize.

By the way, as I have stated many times, I don't own an Orion.  I don't
think I have to own one, to make comments on the ad campaign, which I would
not characterize as an "insult" to Ten Tec.

out here
rob/k5uj