[TenTec] Orion II AT tuner question

Merle Bone merlebone at charter.net
Sat Apr 1 13:32:27 EST 2006

I went back and confirmed that I was seeing attenuated signals when the receiver was set to 30M and the transmitter was set to 10M (Split mode) and the tuner was disabled...... Please forget all after "What I think I am seeing" ;-)

What I was seeing is the Orion Band Decoder output driving the Top-Ten Decoder and changing antennas to match the transmit frequency. I was using 30M and 10M, which are different antennas. With 30M as the receive frequency and 10M as the transmit frequency the Band Decoder switches to the 10M antenna - much reducing the strength of received 30M signals - no surprise there! I re-ran the test with the receive on 20M and the transmit on 10M(Tuner disabled). I was just listening to signals on 20M but I really could tell no difference when the transmit was switched to 10M - both 10M and 20M use the same tribander. I should have done the testing with the signal generator direct into the Orion ;-)
73,
Merle - W0EWM