[TenTec] N4PY Software and frequency memory restore

Ron ron at morell.us
Tue Apr 4 00:18:01 EDT 2006

One thing that is frustrating with the ORION is that when you do a memory
clear, the contents of the stored frequencies are over written with 15.0Mhz
and all the old channels are lost.  I hate that.  So tonight I took time to
read the directions on the N4PY control program and found that the
frequencies can be written and restored through the control program making
it simple to restore or change lists of frequencies.  Even figured out a
spread sheet to make entering the data more automated.  I'm sure that I am
the only one that did not already have this figured out.

The frequency calibrate to 10.0MHz WWV works pretty slick too, although I
found that using the CW / CWR function made it easier to zero in and then
changed to USB and set the calibration.  My Orion was off 18 cycles at
10.0MNz after an hour or so of warm up.  Good posts here on adding a fan to
cool the oscillator and how to adjust the frequency in the ORION, but with
the control software it is quick and accurate and I did not have to turn a
screw.

There are times when MixW, N4PY and the ORION get a little scrambled, but
with a restart of MixW, usually, it all plays well together and I like the
way MixW logs with the frequency and mode inserted automatically.  MixW has
a little companion program CAllBook Lookup, that takes the call from the
MixW log and lets you search web databases for the call sign info.  Pretty
nifty.

There have not been many posts here about ORION control software and logging
or digital operation and so forth.  I'm curious if others on this board are
using software control?  I could probably learn something from you.

Now to get a remote desktop going on the wireless laptop, so I can run
digital modes from the house, while watching TV...
Ron
KA7U