[TenTec] Paragon RTTY (FSK)

Duane A Calvin ac5aa at juno.com
Wed Apr 5 10:45:44 EDT 2006

Vic,
        I can't remember, but does the KAM have settable receive tones?
You may be able to vary them a bit.  The FSK and receive tone settings
are probably not exactly aligned, and changing the RX tones in the TNC
can adjust for that.  You'll probably need help from another ham running
RTTY - especially if he's running a sound card and can give you running
updates so you can zero it in.  If you have never set the RX tones up in
the TNC, make sure whatever it's set to matches the spec for the Paragon
first.  This would be your starting point.

        73,  Duane

On Wed, 5 Apr 2006 07:23:12 -0400 "Vic Klein" <vhklein at ptd.net> writes:
> I have a 585 Paragon and have used it on CW, SSB, and RTTY. I use a
> Kantronics KAM that I have had for many years with 3 different rigs
> interface with the computer through the computer RS-232 port, and it
> keys
> the radio through the FSK jacks while collecting audio at line
> levels in the
> back. The keying is fine in RTTY mode, the audio decodes nicely and
> the
> great filtering allows basically single signal reception at 250Hz
> with
> available audio filtering beyond that. The radio also has the RS-232
> board
> and I can easily control it for mode, frequency, filtering, etc.,
> through a
> searate RS-232 port on the computer. Now, all that being said, I do
> seem to
> have an offset between receive and transmit frequencies is FSK mode.
> suspect I need to adjust the various BFO trimmers, although the
> radio is
> dead on frequency for USB/LSB. Not having ready access to a
> frequency
> counter, I have not had the chance to check this, but otherwise the
> radio
> works great on this mode.
>
> =Vic=
> WA4THR