[TenTec] Inexpensive, readily available, light-weight, communications design headphones... mono but easy to make stereo

Jerry Volpe kg6tt at arrl.net
Thu Apr 6 02:44:27 EDT 2006

Orion owners want stereo headphones.... what to choose? There have been
threads on this subject before and I don't want to start that all
over... just add something to it (check out the reflector archives).

I have literally drawers full of headphones as I am always seeking
headphones that are comfortable and effective. From $20 to $200, ....
Heil, Kenwood, Yaesu, Sony, Panasonic, JRC, .... and more. Recognizing
that headphones are a personal choice (as are most transducers) I can
only indicate this option for those who are looking for a very
affordable, easily obtainable, light-weight headphones designed
specifically for communication frequencies. And although they are sold
as mono headphones with an 1/8 inch plug and a 1/4 adapter, there is a
separate coaxial wire from each headphone that comes down independently
and joined together for mono reception in the plug itself. It is a very
easy job to cut off that plug and solder the two coax audio lines to the
appropriate stereo plug. Combine the shields to the barrel, one hot to
the sleeve and the second hot to the tip. That is all there is to it.

Source: Radio Shack
Product: 20-210B, Lightweight Mono Headphones
Cost: $16.95 plus new stereo plug
Available: All radio shack stores and radioshack.com

 From my drawers of headphones there are only two that I continue to
use... my trusty JRC ST-3 and these Radio Shack Communication headphones.

Hope this is of interest and value.

73,
Jerry, KG6TT