[TenTec] For Ci Jones, WU7R

Mike Hyder -N4NT- Mike_N4NT at charter.net
Fri Apr 14 20:48:27 EDT 2006

Hi Lee,

I'm pushing nothing.  My suggestion is that folks consider what they need a
radio to do.  If I can operate to my satisfaction with a radio I can buy for
$300, then I'd be a fool to spend over $3000.  But there are people who
actually need the more expensive radio.  Just as Ten-Tec will sell you an
Orion with a money-back guarantee, you can buy an older rig on the reflector
and use it long enough to see if it suits you then resell it if it doesn't.
I will caution you that you will not sell a Ten-Tec rig but will accumulate
them because they are all so lovable it's impossible to decide which to get
rid of.

About SSB on the Omni-C, its receiver sounds very quiet and smooth -- great
audio to my ears.  I have worked SSB perhaps a total of two hours in the
past 15 or 20 years -- mostly talking with people that I already know.  I
use an Astatic D-104 with no amplifier in it.  With that setup, I've gotten
great audio reports and people who know me say it sounds just like I do in
person.  I hold the microphone so that it touches my cheek and talk across
the front of it, not directly at it.

73,
Mike N4NT