[TenTec] anyone lose a centurion hv xfmr? (NO!)

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson geraldj at storm.weather.net
Sat Apr 15 09:19:33 EDT 2006

On Sat, 2006-04-15 at 00:21 -0500, John (KE5C) wrote:
> http://www.bosshardradio.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=centurion
>
> First, a special thanks to Jerry, K0CQ, who correctly interpreted the
> (completely normal) VOM behavior I was observing when I measured the secondary
> resistance of my Centurion's HV transformer.  The transformer is indeed fine,
> and tonite I (almost literally) dug further into the Centurion's innards in
> order to get to and properly inspect the HV board.  Apparently I suffered a
> flash over where the secondary HV wires are soldered into the board.  The corona
> dope in this area is well burned.  The parallel traces on the pc board
> connecting the HV wire solder holes to the input of the diode chain are
> vaporized in three separate areas - see yellow boxed areas on middle picture in
> gallery above.  73, John

Could have been a flash over on the board, or could be shorted diodes
that drew enough current to burn the traces in two and then the
inductive kick and unloaded transformer lead to a flash over. The diodes
should be more delicate than the board, unless its a faulty board design
without enough spacing.

--
73, Jerry, K0CQ,