[TenTec] Subject: Re: Omni CW vs SSB

Ken Brown ken.d.brown at hawaiiantel.net
Mon Apr 17 15:10:35 EDT 2006

> "Yeah, I've heard that Ten-Tec rigs are great on CW, but on SSB?......"
I heard this before too, and I've never received any audio reports on my
Omni VI that were anything but good. In fact I have received many many
reports saying my signal sounds "great" or "the best signal on the net."
I have played with the mic gain and processor controls while in QSO with
a friend, whose judgment I trust, and based on that I do believe it is
possible to crank it up to the point where it doesn't sound as nice.
That is true of most rigs.

I have also heard that the receive audio is poor, unless you change some
parts in the audio stages. I have never found the receive audio on my
Omni VIs lacking, and  am not driven to get inside the radio to change
anything. The Paragon tone controls, 6 kHz filter selection and AM mode
selection certainly allow for some better sounding audio with AM or wide
SSB signals, than you can get with the Omni VI.

By the way, read the manual about the battery on the 705 microphone.
Depending on which rig you have it connected to, you may not need the
battery. With my Omni VIs and Paragons the battery is not needed.

DE N6KB