[TenTec] Orion vs SDR-1000

Charles Greene crgreene at cox.net
Sun Apr 30 09:36:57 EDT 2006

Bill and All,

You are misinformed on a bunch of stuff concerning the SDR-1K.  On
CW, if you use an external keyer, so what if the code stream lags the
key?  It's all there and you are not listening to it but to the
external keyer.  It's not QSK I agree, but so not are a bunch of
Japanese rigs in the same price range.  I can operate QSK with my
Omni -VI, Jupiter, K2/100, or even my Triton IV, 540, but I am
missing a lot of good transceiver operation vs the SDR-1K.  I
currently am using a 4 year old HP with a 2.1 Ghz AMD with no
compromises in performance at all.  Costs me $500.  That plus SDR-1k
,100 watt amp with antenna tuner, a high end sound card and high end
mike still came in at under $2.5k.

I admit from what I hear (do not own one) there are many things that
the Orion II will do that my SDR-1K setup will not, and vice versa
mainly in the areas of enhanced received and transmitted signal
performance, not to mention the other things a computer can do if you
are counting the total cost.  I'll be glad to run transmit signal
quality comparison tests any time, and the Panadapter on receive
really has to be seen to be appreciated just to mention two.   I'm
not trying to convince you, but just to set the record straight.

The SDR-1K is the first of it's breed, and subsequent hardware will
easily surpass any stand alone rig.  If I were Ten Tec and the other
manufacturers, I would be looking at similar radio, and the Pegasus
is not a similar radio.  Maybe a step along the way.

73,  Chas, W1CG