[TenTec] PRIVATE& CONFIDENTIAL Re: Orion vs SDR 1K

Martin, AA6E martin.ewing at gmail.com
Sun Apr 30 15:53:53 EDT 2006

Dan K6KDK has my condolences for having obviously not checked the "To:" list
on his e-mail reply.  A lot of us have done the same!

It's sad when some readers don't seem to undertand what the Internet is
about and don't make room for people with strong opinions (not love or
hatred!), pro or con.  Especially for opinions that are supported by a
logical argument -- whether you agree or not.

A number of Orion users have reluctantly come to views similar to Dan's.  It
is true that the Orion & Orion II are very usable for a lot of us, and the
RF stats are great. Still, the DSP/control firmware hasn't gotten to the
level of polish and stability that some of us (fussy systems guys?) expected
in a "premium" transceiver product.

I think Dan's conclusion is that, looking at the history, the Orion firmware
is not likely to ever be a lot better than it is now (or was in 1.37x).  If
someone has an argument to the contrary, let's hear it!

A lot of folks think that 1.37x (and the latest for Orion II) is very
acceptable for their needs.  It works pretty well for me, with some
problems.  Let a thousand flowers bloom.

73 Martin AA6E

martin.ewing at gmail.com - AA6E at arrl.net
President, Yale University Amateur Radio Club - W1YU
http://blog.aa6e.net