[TenTec] Scout current drain?

KC1DI davekc1di at gmail.com
Thu Aug 3 21:16:28 EDT 2006

On 8/3/06, ARDUJENSKI at aol.com <ARDUJENSKI at aol.com> wrote:

> Has some one measured the difference in current drain on TRANSMIT for both
> the SCOUT and the SCOUT (modified for 5watts)? The manual indicates about
> 12
> amps for the SCOUT but that is at 50 watts. I am just trying to justify
> the
> modification (neutering) to turn the SCOUT into an ARGO vs just turning
> down the
> drive.
>
> Alan KB7MBI

Hi Allen,

I owned a Scout for a number of years and would second Stuart's comment
about the Final board you will not gain that much in current drain.. These
rigs weren't really made to be very battery friendly.  I did use a pot in
the driver mod so I could adjust the power down to about 2w or up to 50 W ..
or anything in between.. The Scouts and the Argo 556 are very fussy about
having pretty close to 13 Volt they get quite squirrelly  below  about 12. 8
Volts.

My 2 cents worth.
73 Dave KC1DI /QRP