[TenTec] Orion II - Tech Topics

Martin AA6E aa6e at ewing.homedns.org
Tue Aug 8 09:40:02 EDT 2006

Sinisa Hristov wrote:

> Stated generally, with all LOs locked to the same reference,
> ANY mixing architecture is equivalent to a single stage mixing
> with an equivalent LO frequency, and the output frequency drift
> is equal to the drift of that equivalent LO.
>
> The change of the mixing scheme in Orion II may have some
> virtues, but the stability improvement is NOT one of them.
>

> 73,
>
> Sinisa  YT1NT, VE3EA
Another way to say this is that if your TCXO frequency goes up by 1 ppm,
your dial reading will go down by 1 ppm. (Neglecting the small matter of
the unsynchronized A-to-D converter clock.)  This is because the TCXO is
the only point in the system where a frequency or time scale is defined.

That's the way it is with the Orion.  I don't see how the Orion 2 could
be significantly different.

73 Martin AA6E