[TenTec] Orion II - Tech Topics

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson geraldj at storm.weather.net
Tue Aug 8 11:37:25 EDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-08-08 at 12:11 -0400, wa3fiy at radioadv.com wrote:
> What about the Wadley Loop?  It is my understanding that it provided a
> high degree of stability using a tunable (read drifty) VHF oscillator and a 1
> MHz crystal oscillator rich in harmonics along with a unique mixing scheme.
> Several commercial receiver designs took advantage of the Wadley Loop
> design including the Yaesu FRG-7, Drake SSR-1 and some RACAL
> receivers.

Yes, it works, so long as you don't mind not having any real selectivity
until after it, and don't mind the extra mixer noise and limited dynamic
range because if you put selectivity in that first IF the drifty LO will
surely move the desired signal away from that first IF selectivity
causing a loss of sensitivity.

TANFL.

--
73, Jerry, K0CQ,