[TenTec] Orion II - Tech Topics

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson geraldj at storm.weather.net
Tue Aug 8 16:34:40 EDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-08-08 at 12:41 -0700, Ron Castro wrote:
> If we want real frequency stability, here is what is needed:
>
> http://www.bliley.com/n47x___nv47x___co_08.pdf
>
> I wonder if TT would be willing to order a few of these custom since a
> volume purchase would be needed, and offer them as an option on new units
> and a mod to existing units?  It would require a simple board to solder to
> the existing circuit board, but there is plenty of room to accommodate it.
> They could also add a trim pot on the board to fine calibrate if the 'EFC'
> version is used.  Imagine having frequency stability and accuracy to one
> part per 10 million and 10 dB better phase noise, too!
>
> I'd pay $200-$300 for that, which would build in a fair profit for TT if
> more than a couple dozen were sold.
>
> Ron N6AHA

The improved reference phase will probably be masked by the PLL phase
noise anyway.

My local standard does a part in 100 million per week, and order of
magnitude better short term, and its been doing that for about 34 years.
I could improve on it with GPS stabilization, but I've not had any
frequency arguments to warrant that in that time period either. So
there's not been a benefit to keeping the ovens hot all the time.

--
73, Jerry, K0CQ,