[TenTec] ATU for Scout?

Jerry Volpe kg6tt at arrl.net
Wed Aug 9 13:39:07 EDT 2006

My recommendation is the little LDG Z-11 auto tuner. It is very, very,
small. Painted black like the Scout. Matches a wide range of impedances.
Has a very capable LED style SWR indicator. Requires next to no power to
operate as it uses latching relays. And the Z-11's power rating of 60
watts intermittent (CW and SSB), and 20 watts continuous makes it a
perfect match for the Scout (puts out 20 watts in tune position). I have
a Scout in my car with a Z-11 on it and a Scout in the station with
another Z-11 on it. I am very pleased. They are no longer available new
but there are so many of them out there they are easy to find. The Z-11
was sold both in kit and factory assembled versions. I see the used
prices from $65 to $100 or so. One point to remember, LDG has released a
number of processor versions for the Z-11 with version 1.6 the most
current. They all work but later versions tune faster under some
conditions. The lastest version, version 1.6, has memories and is way
cool! Anyway, if you buy one of these used have them pop off the cover
and read the version number on the white sticker on the processor chip.
You can buy the latest processor for around $30 from LDG.

73,

Jerry, KG6TT
Fairfield, CA