[TenTec] Yep -- Omni VII

Bwana Bob wb2vuf at qsl.net
Sat Aug 12 09:22:01 EDT 2006

Traditionally, that is true. Ham-band-only receivers were superior. Tuned
circuits could be more selective because they tuned over a narrower range.
VFO's, too, could be made more linear and stable, since usually they tuned
only over a 0.5 MHz range. Designs are different today. Broadband front ends
are the rule. There is no "preselector" tuning and VFO's are synthesized.
There is no longer a big performance difference between general coverage and
ham band equipment.

Now, do we need general coverage? When I got started in amateur radio in the
mid-sixties, shortwave listening was a popular hobby among electronics
enthusiasts, hams and would-be hams. Not so today. Shortwave broadcasting is
being replaced by satellites and the internet. I can't think of any
shortwave broadcaster that still maintains a North American service. You can
still hear them, but they are beaming to other parts of the world, so
signals are weaker here in the U.S.

There is still some interesting utility monitoring out there. I enjoy
listening to USCG aircraft on HF and I also monitor some of the
international air traffic control frequencies. That's about it, aside from a
little SSB marine traffic. The military has been going to satellites and
encrypted digital modes; likewise commercial operations.

Nevertheless, when I go on vacation, the T-T Scout goes with me, but I also
bring a portable AM/FM/SW receiver.

					73,

					Bob WB2VUF