[TenTec] "End of an Era"

Jerry Volpe kg6tt at arrl.net
Fri Aug 18 01:04:29 EDT 2006

I don't think so. [now for my opinion]

I started working in the computer field in 1968 and have stayed current
ever since and as an RF engineer at different intervals since 1972. So
my experience with systems, trends, and fads go back a few years.

Today, I can find many a transceiver still working and workable after 30
years or more.... yet I have a garage packed full of computer 'junk'
five years old that I can't give away. The trouble with today's SDR
concept is that you are paying for hardware (regardless of how little)
that is dependent on a backend computer/software solution that has
historically a very limited lifetime. Add to that the fact that working
for 'free' programmers (no matter how noble) eventually tire of projects
after a few years. Once they do who takes up the gauntlet? Why would
they want too?

When Ten-Tec introduced the Pegasus in 1999 it had a lot of attention
and a lot of hobby programs worked on solutions to better the freeware
provided by Ten-Tec. Now merely seven years later where are the
innovative software packages for the Pegasus? Yes, you can still use
it.... and let us be thankful that only the GUI is external so even when
all the current software solutions are too old for the next generation
of computers and operating systems it will still be possible to whip up
a GUI with the tools of the day. Would someone want to spend all that
time reinventing a complete software environment for a ten year old
FlexRadio? How about a 20 year old one? A 30 year old one? I think you
get my point. On the other hand I think SDR is a cool idea and an
interesting branch of the solution tree, but I am glad it is not the
only viable branch.

Every time I see a FlexRadio demonstration I go away thinking I have to
try one of those. Then I read about the latency issues and I scratch my
head. Today, a friend of mine attempted a demo of a few Soft Rocks at my
station. Unfortunately none of my sound cards were up to the task and
the reception was very poor (something to be learned there). During our
meeting he told me that he had heard that the latency problem had been
solved! I replied that I have to look into that, so I did. What I found
was that the FlexRadio developers claim they have now created a SDR
environment that allows for the best 'semi-break' in performance of any
SDR to date. Oh well. I have been using 'full break in' CW with Ten-Tec
rigs for over 30 years. He told me that I needed a Delta 44 sound card
(I knew this already) and that I shouldn't be dismayed by the $150 to
$200 that they cost. I replied that my Triton IV only cost $225 and it
was total plug-n-play even after 30 years.

Now I am curious by nature and profession and always looking for a
better mouse trap. I have owned and subsequently discarded a JRC
NRD-545, a Ten-Tec RX-350, and a Ten-Tec Jupiter.... all nice DSP
concepts but simply not as refined or as capable as many of the pure
discrete solutions I already own. After taking a year or so away from
the DSP solutions (well my Omni-VI+ did have some DSP functions) I now I
have an Orion, which I like a lot.... yet no matter how much I use it I
find more ease and simple pleasure using a 30 year old Triton IV or my
20 year old Corsair II. And with a sincere smile I'll let you know now
that you will have to pry both of those from my cold, dead fingers after
I am gone. :)

73,
Jerry, KG6TT
Fairfield, CA