[TenTec] "End of an Era"

Grant Youngman nq5t at comcast.net
Fri Aug 18 10:32:23 EDT 2006

> -free software. Personally, I prefer free stuff because, as t
> Linus said "software is like sex, it's better when it's free"

I like free stuff, too.   Wonder if it's worth making that argument to my
Mercedes dealer and see if I can get one for free.

> wolonteers who develops software for fun.

I've had the misfortune of downloading and trying to use a variety of "free"
and "for fun" software.  "Open source" doesn't equate to free.  Red Hat's
Linux Enterprise is technically "open source".  Last time I looked, it
wasn't free.  You still get largely what you pay for.  There are exceptions
to everything, of course.

> much faster one, you have to buy whole rig, Orion II for
> example. This is some kind of customer lock-in, I should say.

An SDR (at least as of this writing) still has a substantial component of
proprietary hardware associated with it.  You can't ignore that.  You can't
plug an antenna directly into your "soundcard" yet, either.  No free lunch
anywhere.

Grant/NQ5T