[TenTec] Top 10 with mouse only controls - WAS: "End of an Era"

Duane - N9DG n9dg at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 19 00:07:07 EDT 2006

FWIW I fairly regularly get into the top 10 for the Single Op
Low Power category for the various ARRL VHF contests. And for
multipliers I typically finish within the top 5 for the
144-432 MHz bands. Hint: I don't find all those multipliers
by twisting a VFO knob; and I refuse to use spotting networks
for contests (even if it were legal to begin with). Also note
that my top 10 finishes are all achieved with just 4 bands
(50-432 MHz) most of the other top 10 finishers typically
have at least 902 and 1296 if not more microwave bands above
the bottom 4.

I run a SO4R like configuration using all Pegasus radios with
N4PY software on the 50-432 MHz bands (the Pegasus radios
only cost me about 1.5 Orion II's). So I'm running nearly
100% mouse control of the radios. As much as I like N4PY's
software I can think of a lot of things that could be done
with a software UI and SDR to improve the whole concept by at
least 5 fold for contest use. Suffice it to say a knobs and
button radio simply can't get me there - period.

So yes top 10 finishes can, and are being achieved without
using any knobs and buttons.

Duane
N9DG