[TenTec] end of an era

Paul DeWitte K9OT k9ot at mhtc.net
Sat Aug 19 01:41:24 EDT 2006

Bill said to let him know when contest winners use a mouse instead of knobs.

For as good as the Orion is claimed to be (I have not used one), and I have
had quite a bit of time with a Jupiter,the reason that I like my older T T
rigs (VI+ is the newest)is that they still have dedicated knobs that do only
one thing.

No menu to go through, or multi knob to try to figure out when you want to
change something. When using the Jupiter on the lower bands, trying to
reduce the RF gain to get rid of some noise and turning up the AF gain to
compensate, it is not easy to find the right setting with either.

My Corsair II or Omni VI+ I can play with the RF gain and AF gain very easy
and find the setting that I want.

Just my preference, Others may differ. I realise that just about all radios
from now on will be more software driven. So I just keep what I have and am
perfectly happy.

73 Paul K9OT