[TenTec] "End of an Era"

Charles Greene crgreene at cox.net
Sun Aug 20 07:39:48 EDT 2006

Hi All,

Back in the early 70s, I sold all my tube rigs and went solid state
with a Ten Tec 940 Triton IV and I vowed never to have tube rigs in
the shack again.  This is still true except for a couple of linear
amps.  Now I am contemplating to do the same with analog rigs of
which I have several including the Omni-VI, and go to software
defined radios.  This would apply to the shack, as analog rigs still
have a place in portable and mobile operation.  I still have the 940
and would probably keep it as a back up.  I plan to wait until Flex
Radio comes out with there their top of the line software defined
radio, designed to compete with the Orion, Yaesu FT1K and ICOM
IC7800.  I have the SDR-1000 and it keeps getting better all the
time, but there are still some hardware limitations that the
developers have not come up with software work-arounds for.

73,  Chas W1CG