[TenTec] "End of an Era"

Tod Glenn n7wd at cordite.com
Sun Aug 20 15:42:28 EDT 2006

On Aug 20, 2006, at 5:39 AM, Charles Greene wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Back in the early 70s, I sold all my tube rigs and went solid state
> with a Ten Tec 940 Triton IV and I vowed never to have tube rigs in
> the shack again.  This is still true except for a couple of linear
> amps.  Now I am contemplating to do the same with analog rigs of
> which I have several including the Omni-VI, and go to software
> defined radios.  This would apply to the shack, as analog rigs still
> have a place in portable and mobile operation.  I still have the 940
> and would probably keep it as a back up.  I plan to wait until Flex
> Radio comes out with there their top of the line software defined
> radio, designed to compete with the Orion, Yaesu FT1K and ICOM
> IC7800.  I have the SDR-1000 and it keeps getting better all the
> time, but there are still some hardware limitations that the
> developers have not come up with software work-arounds for.

I think the point was well made that since SDR depend on computers
you might be inviting problems.  Unless you plan to buy a new SDR
every few years, it very likely that as the OS changes, that the
software might not be updated.  You can still use a non-SDR radio
made 20+ years ago.  I doubt that will be the case with SDR.

----
Tod Glenn
N7WD
NAQCC #1283