[TenTec] Noise Reduction Setting

wa3fiy at radioadv.com wa3fiy at radioadv.com
Tue Dec 5 14:02:07 EST 2006

On 5 Dec 2006 at 11:32, Grant Youngman wrote:

> What I'd really like to understand is why THRESHOLD was put there as a
> separate control to begin with.  It was likely not just some frivolous
> exercise or a burning need to confuse the operator.  And now that it is
> linked to RF Gain, other than making life easy(?), what are the pluses and
> minuses of having THRESHOLD separate from or linked to RF Gain?

Can't say why THRESHOLD was put there as a separate control but I like it
that way.  Although I do use the RF Gain often, I also use the AGC
THRESHOLD.

Here's my background.  I have a fairly serious hearing problem which
among other things makes ham radio operations tough.   I like to have a
very good signal to noise ratio as much as possible.  Since I don't hear
well, I'm not a contester or DX'er.  I mostly work full break-in CW and like to
have the RX quiet between elements. On SSB I also need the radio to be
pretty quiet when no one is talking.   On the other hand, as band conditions
deteriorate I do like to be able to finish the QSO or net.  So..........here is
the way I have my AGC setup.

SLOW :
Hang - 1 sec
Decay - 10dB/s
Threshold - 11uV (about S6 on the S meter)

MEDIUM:
Hang - 0.5sec
Decay - 20dB/s
Threshold - 5 uV (about S5 on the S meter)

FAST:
Hang - 0.2 sec
Decay - 80dB/s
Threshold - 1.4uV (about S 2.5 on the S meter)

PROG:
Hang - 0.1 sec
Decay - 200dB/sec
Threshold - 1.0 uV (about S2 on the S meter)

I set the AGC slope to 2:10 dB.

I use slow AGC when conditions are pretty good and work down (Med,
Fast, Prog) as conditions get worse.  Having THRESHOLD available in the
AGC settings makes it very convenient for me to quickly set the best
performance for any conditions.  I can still use RF Gain to reduce RX gain
further if desired.

For my operating, this is one of the great features of the Orion. Put all
together, this makes a very nice sounding radio.

There are probably nearly as many different AGC profiles as there are
Orions.  And, as long as they work for the user, they are "right".

73,

-Lee-
WA3FIY