[TenTec] Orion ll Audio

Dennis OConnor ad4hk2004 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 7 08:33:41 EST 2006

Phil, the short answer is -10dB worse to +10dB better...  The long answer is it depends on the details...
I have the MK-V with the Inrad roofing filter and a full filter set <I have never used a Field model> and the OII with a full filter set, and a 6+ (564) with the Inrad CW roofing filter and a full filter set...  These are outstanding DX and contest radios...  A $20,000 RACAL cannot do what these radios do in the contesting environment...And, I feel the receiver on the OII is superior to the MK-V and the 6+...
Does that mean I can work signals on the OII I can't even hear on the MK-V or the 6+?  The answer is no... But in heavy qrm I can puzzle out the call or the exchange faster on the OII - personal opinion... And 'maybe' I can work a qsb signal that is just at the noise level, with heavy static crashes, on the OII that I could not with the others - maybe not...  The devil here, is in the details...
If you just plug in a MK-V or an OII, turn em on and go for it, you are not likely to hear any difference - you will get killed in heavy QRM...  You need to select the best filter / bandwidth for the conditions  <once in a while in really vicious qrm going way wide will allow you to copy what you can't on the narrow filter, always worth a few seconds trial>...  You need to turn off the AGC and the Preamp... You need to use Attenuation and the RF Gain control to avoid overloading the IF stages... You need to set the audio to a comfortable level and the RF Gain becomes your main volume control.... You need to get used to using IF shift - just a little goes a long ways - and on CW, switching sidebands is another tool...  Having a receive-only  antenna is a must at times on the lower bands... And having done all this you need to condition that filter between your ears - ten pushups (contacts) every day to tone the muscle and hit every contest on the weekends even if only for an
 hour, as a cardio workout...
And there are times when the qrm is laid on top that elusive dx signal in layers and there is just nothing you can do about it...  The guys you hear working the DX through the qrm are in a different geographic area, are hearing different levels of qrm than you, and have antennas with different patterns than yours - apples and oranges and nothing you can do will change that....
Now, I would love to tell you that buying an OII will solve all your problems, but I can't... I made the decision only after long and careful thought and monitoring the various whine, errrrr, chat groups....   Before you deep six the MK-Vconsider spending the money to outfit it with narrow filters and spend time doing the things i have outlined <if you haven't already - if you have, then just plonk me :>..
Bottom line; I am very happy with my OII and glad I bought it... ymmv...

cheers  ...  denny / k8do - often confused but never in doubt...