[TenTec] Circuit breaker tripping excessively

OTAKEBI at aol.com OTAKEBI at aol.com
Thu Dec 7 19:51:37 EST 2006

If you can set the meter on the rig to show how much current the finals are
pulling at the point that the supply trips you will know if it is your  finals.
I ill guess that the rig puts out 100 watts.
I do not know your rig.
If that is the case you would probably draw about 18 amps at 100  watts.
If your current is under say 18 amps at 100 watts it is not your  finals.
If at 50 watts you show a current draw of over 18 amps your finals are  bad.
At 50 watts your current draw should be "ball park" around half of what you
draw at full power.
Bad finals always show high current draw related to output.
The folks at TT should have asked you what the current draw was at the trip
point.
They could have at that point helped you a little more than they did.
Here is what I know a Corsair II at 100 watts with a non reactive load will
draw 18 amps.
An OMNI V at 100 watts will draw 20 amps.
These are "ball park" but very close.
Now, with TT rigs a reactive load will cause the breaker to trip even with  a
low SWR.
If your finals draw the right current you need to check other things.
You might want to see if you can get a hold of another TT supply and see if
the same thing happens.
I still would suspect the breaker if the other supply does not trip.
If you had an Airpax you could bypass the breaker in the supply and  see if
you get a trip.
Do not bypass if you do not have another way to keep the rig from drawing
more amps that it can handle.
TT's will keep pulling amps until the finals self destruct.
Don't even try it.
Dan/N4VET