[TenTec] Noise Reduction Setting

Bill Tippett btippett at alum.mit.edu
Thu Dec 7 23:20:22 EST 2006

AA2IZ wrote:

 >Perhaps I am mistaken in believing that there is actually a DSP processor
employed in the Orion, or that they do actual DSP processing with it.  Ten
Tec's deafening silence on this whole DSP issue is a glaring failure of
communication, IMHO.  Hopefully we can get some factual feedback on these
points (from Ten Tec that is).

         Of course all DSP rigs have DSP processors, but
the real issue is what kind of "processing" do they actually
do?  To meet the minimal latency requirements for a QSK rig,
I think the DSP only builds bandwidth filters.  In looking
at the Timewave data sheet, it appears to me that it also
simply builds filters.  What you were describing before is
much more complex, using auto-correlation techniques, etc.
like JPL does to enhance images from space.  The problem is we
simply cannot do that in the near real time required by QSK...
and JPL cannot do it in real time either.  I believe they
replay a digital stream many times to help extract the signal
from noise, consequently it's never real time.

         In copying N2XE's weak signal beacon a few years ago,
my brain did a simple version of auto-correlation.  Since the
signal was repetitive, I got my brain synchronized with the
timing to help build the 4 letter codeword one letter at a
time, but this is a far different situation than when we
are trying to decode a non-repetitive signal in real time.

                                         73,  Bill  W4ZV