[TenTec] OT: First voice broadcast a hoax?

Ron Notarius W3WN wn3vaw at verizon.net
Mon Dec 11 21:01:58 EST 2006

This really isn't the place for this discussion... so I will make one last
comment and then shut up.

Last month, the University of Pittsburgh had a presentation on Fessenden (he
was a professor & department head there).  As part of that presentation,
there were newspaper clippings displayed championing his acheivements, and
as memory served, they were dated long before his death.  Had I suspected
this was going to come up, especially here, I would have noted more details.
So suffice to say, I have some reservations on the issue of declaring this a
hoax.

Again, before I start getting more posts from the reflector police
complaining about the discussion, and I already have, this is really more
suited to a reflector discussing communications history.

Incidently, the presenters included the Chair of the Mathematics Department
(NA0B), the Dean of the University Honors College (W3HRK), and the founder
of FlexRadio Systems (K5SDR).  After the program, several of us took a peek
at the W3YI shack (running as the K3F Special Event Station), and I'll tell
you, the FlexRadio system that they have was very impressive.  (But I still
like W3WH's Orion better!  There!  Back on track)