[TenTec] Eliminating CW as a License Requirement

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Mon Dec 18 13:42:26 EST 2006

On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 12:06:41PM -0600, Dr. Gerald N. Johnson wrote:
> Perhaps ARRL certification like Rag Chewer's Club for code speeds. Wait,
> there has been an ARRL code proficiency certification program for eons
> already.

The original poster wanted to reward extra achievment with extra privledges.
The ARRL certificates are nice wallpaper, but they don't get you more
frequencies, more modes, a "cool" callsign.

> That's the magic number where the characters are too fast to be counted,
> but have to be recognized.

That's why there was 13 and 20. 18wpm was another level, between letters
and words.

> Anyone, licensed or not, group or individual, can file a petition.

Filing a petition does not make something happen. In many cases
it just wastes the taxpayer's money.

> For working CW and conventional phone modes, equipment doesn't become
> obsolete other than in the maker's eyes.

The problem with that thinking, which I agree with, is that the only
thing that keeps manufacturers in business is selling new rigs.

With Drake dropping out of the ham radio business for good by ending
the production of the R8, with a claim there will never be an R9, that
leaves "two men standing" in the U.S. ham radio business. MFJ and Ten-Tec.
There are others, but their business is very small in comparison.

Neither offer a rig that will appeal to the newly HF licensed ham. MFJ's
are too simple and lack multiband capability, memories, etc. (too cheap).
Ten-Tec's are too complicated and too expensive.

IMHO the company that wins will be the one that comes out with something
similar to a 2m FM mobile/base rig with HF and a $500 or less price tag.
To be honest, if you cut out CW, you could bring it in cheaper and faster
and unfortunately not enough people would care. I know that's not desirable
because it fosters a "CB" image, but if it brings new hams to the bands,
it might be worth it.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838