[TenTec] Early Ten-Tec Service Note, SN-2-540, detailing Triton IV mod to eliminate RX/TX reed relay 'malfunctions' in earlier serial number rigs

Jerry Volpe kg6tt at arrl.net
Wed Dec 20 15:54:47 EST 2006

It seems like Triton IV (model 540) and model 544s are trading hands
like hot potatoes these days. I suspect some of the new owners of the
earlier versions of the Triton IV have obtained rigs that have weak or
non-existent receive audio. This was a common complaint in 1976-. And
even though logic said the problem is a 'bad' reed relay, in 99% of the
cases it isn't a faulty relay but how it was used in the circuit...
Anyway the weak or non-existent audio can be fixed with the addition of
one 10k, 1/2 watt resistor (1/4 watt, heck 1/8 watt for that matter).
Read the mod for details.

I was asked several questions by a new Triton IV owner. One of his
problems related to weak receive audio. I remembered this mod from years
ago and found it in my files. I retyped it for clarity. If you want a
copy send me an email direct and I'll send along a compressed Microsoft
Word document.

If your Triton IV has a serial number after 01749 or after T-1265 than
you already have this modification installed from the factory.

73,
Jerry, KG6TT
Fairfield, CA

--