[TenTec] Orion 1 & 2 "Talk Power" problem

Martin AA6E aa6e at ewing.homedns.org
Fri Dec 22 13:36:09 EST 2006

Right.  I was once trying to raise a DX op, when he said something like
- "negative copy OM, your audio has too much bass".  I adjusted to ~260
Hz Tx rolloff and ~2400 Hz bandpass, and raised him with no problems.

No doubt my wide settings had better fidelity, but they weren't
appropriate for this QSO.

In the telephone business, there are standard ways to measure
intelligibility over a channel.  Basically, you speak some standard
words and the listener tries to discern what you are saying.  It would
be helpful to have an objective test for SP & audio equalization
settings on an HF channel. (With QRM, fading and an obscure accent, of
course!)

73 Martin AA6E