[TenTec] Orion 1 & 2 "Talk Power" problem

Carl Moreschi n4py at arrl.net
Sat Dec 23 08:17:01 EST 2006

I think my previous statements on this subject may have been misinterpreted.
Any processed SSB signal that sounds very distorted and is difficult to copy
defeats the purpose of processing.  The correct amount of processing I am
talking about makes the signal have much more punch and greatly improves the
readability of the signal.  The distortion created is only of the type that
makes the voice not sound natural.  The correct amount of processing greatly
increases readablity, especially in weak signals.  Also, for DX I use my
HC-4 element of my Heil goldline which emphasizes highs and removes power
from lows.  My 234 RF speech processor then does a fantastic job with my
Orion I running V2.  By the way, I use a transformer on the output of my 234
to balance the mic output to the Orion.  The ground from the 234 is
completely isolated from the Orion.  I use a separate line for the PTT
connection.  Until I added this isolation transformer, I had a small hum on
my signal.  The isolation transformer is a simple $3 radio shack 1k to 1k
transformer.

For rag chewing, I use the HC-5 element with no processing.

Carl Moreschi N4PY
121 Little Bell Drive
Bell Mountain
Hays, NC 28635