[TenTec] Orion II 8 Pin DIN

Kim Elmore cw_de_n5op at sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 28 21:37:33 EST 2006

I see that the only way to do true FSK with the Orion requires an 8
pin DIN plug.  That's OK, except that the plug supplied looks a bit
odd because the 8th pin is centered in the seven-pin 270 deg
arc.  This is different yet from the odd-ball 262 deg 8 pin DIN plugs
used by Kenwood and Yeasu (I have one of those for reference). Every
other 8-pin DIN plug I've seen is offset slightly towards the open
part of the 7 pin arc and this is what I see in the manual's
pictorial. I admit that I haven't pulled the rig out to actually look
at the back. Still, did I get a screwball plug or will I need a
screwball plug? If I need one, where do I get it?

Kim Elmore, N5OP