[TenTec] TenTec] TX EQ = -14 dB for PSK31

Ron Castro ronc at sonic.net
Fri Dec 29 12:02:34 EST 2006

The power level control only sets the threshold for the ALC and has no
effect on the linearity of the final.  Running the control at 100 but
adjusting the audio input for about 25 Watts output will ensure the least
amount of unwanted level-changing during a PSK-31 transmission.  That being
said, I have determined that the software ALC apparently operates
unpredictably to some degree at any audio level input.  You can demonstrate
this by running a tone into AUX input and reducing it to where the ALC light
goes out, then start reducing it more.  At various points, the output will
appear to 'hunt' while the input is kept steady.  This relates back to an
earlier thread about 'talk power' which is dependent on ALC action which
appears to be quite aggressive in the V 2.x firmware.

BTW...has anyone determined the function or the proper setting of R-19 in
the A5 ALC circuit?

      Ron N6IE
 www.N6IE.com
(Formerly N6AHA)