[TenTec] Omni VI agc modification

Steve Hunt steve at karinya.net
Sun Dec 31 14:49:10 EST 2006

Hi folks,

Since I had my Omni VI I've been a bit disappointed with the agc characteristic - I guess I've become so used to my Corsair's "hang" system! I particularly like the way the background noise on the Corsair doesn't lift during brief pauses in speech, and I find it much less "wearing" on the ears :)

I spent this weekend modifying the Omni VI agc into a "hang" system. The changes are straightforward, can easily be reversed, and the existing front panel AGC switch functionality is retained.

I'm very pleased with the results. If anything it now out-performs the Corsair because it remains fundamentally an IF-derived system and so responds more quickly to the onset of large signals.

I know some folk love "hang agc" and some folk hate it, but if anyone is interested I have posted full details of the modification at:

http://www.karinya.net/g3txq/hang_agc/index.html

73,
Steve G3TXQ