[TenTec] Omni VI Meter Lamp dimming

Ken Brown ken.d.brown at verizon.net
Sat Feb 11 21:22:51 EST 2006

Thanks Larry and Jim,

Well, I'm not overly concerned about it. It doesn't have any affect on
the RF/AF performance of the radio, which is what really matters to me.
I just happened to notice it and then decided to peruse the schematics,
to try to figure out the mechanism by which it occurs. I thought I was
going to find something really simple, such as the LEDs and the 47 lamps
being fed by the same supply, through a common connector. Then I was
going to say to myself  "that connector must have high resistance and
the little bit of additional current drawn by the LED is enough to drop
the voltage to the #47 bulbs so that I can see them dim. I'd better
clean that connector." Much to my surprise, it is much more complicated
than that, and I cannot come up with a simple explanation.

Sort of interesting all the somewhat unrelated circuits that are on the
Low Level Driver Board. Noise blanker, light dimmer and the low level
driver.

N6KB