[TenTec] Orion ocean Noise/AGC

Joe Roth-N4ARI n4ari at msn.com
Sun Feb 12 10:04:35 EST 2006

Well said Bill.

It is obvious by this thread that so many of us hams are no longer
technicians or thinkers but appliance operators and hate to admit it.
Appliance operators who are still in the closet would rather blame our
frustrations on the hardware.

I put myself in that catagory although I have "come out of the closet" here.
When I bought my Orion in Oct. 2003, I realized very quickly how much of my
technical knowledge needs serious improvements! I still am not as good as
many of you here and because of that I am greatful to have you folks around.
The articles on Doug Smith's web site are a must read for any Orion
owner--not just the manual.

Some hams just want to buy the best radio then just plug it in and go. They
don't have the skills or knowledge to "drive it" properly. I may have a
driver's license for my car but I sure won't put myself behind the wheel of
a "big rig" unless I studied up.

Joe