[TenTec] TenTec] Ocean noise

Bill Tippett btippett at alum.mit.edu
Mon Feb 13 06:59:00 EST 2006

W4ZV wrote:

<Anyone still want to argue that using the S-meter
to set RF Gain (which includes AGC Threshold) is a
bad idea?

W5DM wrote:

<No--but a question.  Using this method how does one adjust the AGC threshold
setting in the menu?

         Paul, I set my AGC Threshold to 1.0 uV
in all AGC Menus.  If we were at the peak of
the Solar Cycle and if I was using 10 meters,
I might set it to the minimum 0.37 uV.  There
is probably no downside to doing that now
except my fingers get tired cranking it down
that far every time I need to reset everything
(i.e. after reloading a beta version).

         My RF Gain is typically at 60-70% for
my Beverages on 160, so there is still much
more gain available than is really needed.

         Please remember that the integrated AGC
Threshold and RF Gain change applies only to
release 1.372 for original Orions.  If you
use an older version, you need to carefully
set Threshold in each RX Menu, and remember
to check it when you change bands or antennas,
as Sinisa YT1NT described here:

http://www.geocities.com/va3ttn/UsingOrionRX.pdf

                                 73,  Bill  W4ZV

P.S.  S-meter deflection change is not in any
public release for the original Orion...only in
some V2 betas.