[TenTec] Orion II and other $$$ deliveries

Duane A Calvin ac5aa at juno.com
Mon Feb 13 09:51:01 EST 2006

"Foam-in-place" packaging is probably a lot worse than the cardboard
cushions they have used for the Orion.  Packaging has to have some "give"
but little "bounce" to work effectively.  Foam-in-place packaging has
little give and lots of bounce.  So, while it seems to conform to the
space between the package and the box, it actually just transfers shock
directly from the side of the box to the packaged unit.  Where I work, we
used to do considerable testing on different packaging materials, and FIP
was one of the ones you use for unique, one of a kind items, not for high
volume units that need good packaging.  I think the FIP may have
contributed to a number of the Omni problems where the rig was received
inoperative and the owner had to remove the cover and reseat cables,
etc., to get it working again.

        73, Duane