[TenTec] Help my Omni VI is unwell

G4PUQ@aol.com G4PUQ at aol.com
Mon Feb 13 14:28:11 EST 2006

What a frustrating evening - last night I failed to work 3Y0X on  30m along
with VQ9, 6W and FH on 160m. I love this hobby...but I hope  I have more luck
tonight.

Now I don't want to sound like a bad workman who blames his tools but  I have
noticed a few glitches in my Omni VI. I'd appreciate any advice before I
send my Omni back to TT for an overhaul.

Glitch 1  - on receive, the tone of the received cw signals jumps  by a few
hundred Hz, the display remains quite steady. Some sort of  stability problem
perhaps?

Glitch 2  - on receive again, and particularly following  switching on, the
audio is accompanied by lots of electrical/static crashing  noise (S4 - S5). I
checked last nights dx signals on my Corsair II and  Drake TR7, no noise, its
inside the Omni VI.

Any ideas ? Has anyone encountered these problems before. Due to the
intermittent nature of the problems I would appreciate any adivce  - it  would cost a
bundle to send my radio across the pond for a  service.

Thanks, Peter - G4PUQ

PS  I'm not attributing my bad luck last night to my radios.