[TenTec] Orion 1 V2 Firmware Observations

Robb Urie rurie at cox.net
Mon Feb 13 21:45:55 EST 2006

All,

Just updated my Orion, a few minor observations to note:

1.  The main S meter seems to be reading much higher than previous. Actually, make that both s meters.
     The local 75M boys are reading at 50+ with the usual 12DB of attenuation now.  Previously, the only
     time I would see that high of signal was without any attenuation.  Minor, but something to ponder.

2.  Now I get the S meter deflection when decreasing the RF gain.  I know this was reported with the new
     version for the Orion II, and was anticipating it.  I really don't care for it, as I had grown quite comfortable
     with the Omni 6+ and it's S meter reduction.  It does appear that the gain control produces a smoother application
     of control as it it varied, something that was questionable on the earlier version.

3.  The AGC adjustments are more uniform and much quicker to update.  No more endless cranking on the knob
     to get that threshold down to nil.  Much easier to tweak the AGC now than before.

4.  The NR does not reduce the S meter reading!  Even when adjusted to the most aggressive level, the signal is
     still reading relatively the same.  As I type this, I am monitoring the 3Y0X crew on 7.023 and adjusting the NR
     level.  The NR seems to engage much quicker and without adding the "Ocean" sound that plaques most DSP
     NR systems.  Kinda reminds me of the NR on the Omni 6+, just pops the signal right out of the noise.

These are just a few things that I have noticed in the past 30 minutes or so.  I would be interested in hearing from
others on their results.  I will complete the logic board mod later this week so I can evaluate the Sweep function.

Overall, seems like the wait was indeed worth it.  Sorry for mentioning the Ocean, my appologies to Led Zeppelin.

73,

Robb Urie...,NØRU
Poquoson, VA