[TenTec] V2.0 for the original Orion

Ron Castro ronc at sonic.net
Tue Feb 14 00:26:45 EST 2006

Mark: Have you ever checked the original Orion's frequency response?  I
checked the O2 and it's pretty good, although not quite what the specs
implied.  I found that the response at 50 Hz with the TX EQ set flat and
L.F. Rolloff at 50 Hz is off 15 dB instead of the 6 dB claimed.  It was -7
dB at 100 Hz and -3 dB at 200 Hz.  Pretty flat up to where the TX Filter BW
is set.  All in all, that's not bad response, but I was not able to flatten
it out with the W2IHY system.  It's still better than just about anything
"out of the box" except for the TS-870.

Frequency response on AM is nothing short of amazing: +-1 dB down to 20 Hz!
I checked into the AMI net the other night and net control commented that I
sounded as good as any of the guys running the big plate-modulated broadcast
transmitters.

Ron Castro
Chief Technical Officer
Results Radio, LLC