[TenTec] Orion (original) S-meter

John Buck kh7t at arrl.net
Sat Feb 18 17:14:00 EST 2006

I guess I do not know what the problem is.  Most of the data shown so far
do not say if Sub is connected to the ANT or not.
My data is consistent with expectations and I also get similar data
using both my HP-8640B and the Elecraft XG1.

My Orion with V2.054 software shows the following.

Using the Elecraft XG1 and with Orion BW greater than 1 kHz.

Main   Sub    preamp  Signal  S meter        Notes

Ant 1   Ant 1     off    50uv.   S9                OK, I am lucky, right on.
Ant 1   Ant 1     on     50uv.   S9 + 18 db   Preamp gain is ~18 db per
S meter.
Ant 1   off         off    50uv.   S9 + 6 db     Sub connection
attenuates by 6 db.

Ant  1  Ant 1     off      1uv.    S1 +            no motion of S meter
from signal
Ant  1  Ant 1     on       1uv.    S4               3 S units for ~ 18
db preamp gain.
Ant  1  off         on       1uv.    S5              One S unit is 5 or
6 db here.

Aloha,
John KH7T