[TenTec] Orion Speech Compressors

Ken Brown ken.d.brown at verizon.net
Sun Feb 19 21:57:13 EST 2006

I find it strange that a radio which uses DSP directly from the IF for
demodulation would use RF clipping or compression, or even analog audio
compression. I would have thought that this would be done using DSP in
the TX IF, or perhaps DSP on the TX audio before the balanced modulator.
I would also expect the built in speech processing in a cutting edge
technology, top of the line transceiver, to be so good that no
improvement could be gained by using any outboard speech processor.

DE N6KB