[TenTec] Orion Speech Compressors

Ron Castro ronc at sonic.net
Mon Feb 20 00:40:04 EST 2006

My take on it is that the processing is done in the DSP modulator stage, but
there is no clipping.  I see very little increase in average output, even at
heavy settings, and I don't hear the kind of sound that the old Alpha Vomax
or Datong clippers used to give.  I think it needs to be more aggressive to
be effective, although there is some subjective loudness increase by using
fast AGC action.  But it's not like real clipping.  I may take my old Vomax
out of mothballs.

BTW, there is a good audio compressor in the mic preamp.  The SSM2166 chip
is the same one the W2IHY EQplus uses in the compressor/downward expander
stage, but I don't think the noise gate function is enabled.  You can read
about this powerful little IC at:

http://www.analog.com/en/prod/0,2877,SSM2166,00.html

Ron
N6AHA