[TenTec] re QST ad

Merle Bone merlebone at charter.net
Fri Feb 24 15:09:30 EST 2006

Rob - K5UJ said:
"Some hams obsess about BDR etc. beyond what 95% of hams give a flip about.  For those 95%, whether a rig is
"good" or "bad" boils down to what I call the pleasure rating:  on a scale from 1 to 10, how much fun is it to operate; how much pleasure do you derive from the experience?  Factors affecting this can range from audio quality, to heft (does it move on the table when i plug in cans?) and build quality, as well as drift, f.p. layout, PA power, blah blah with the rx down there
somewhere in the priority list.  Oh, it has to be able to hear--don't get me wrong, but if the AGC pumps at times, it's not the end of the world. "

I don't think any one technical specification "makes a really good receiver." However, it clearly appears, to me, that the HF radio manufacturers are putting more time and effort into building much better receivers that take advantage of new technologies. TenTec's use of roofing filters, as an example, has clearly spilled forward and backward - although not quite as effective in earlier model transceivers. My FT1000MP is a much better receiver with the INRAD roofing filter then it was without it - more FUN! But it is not nearly as good as my Orion. Nothing is "the end of the world." However, it seems - based on what manufacturers are building and people buying - that many amateurs, in the new HF radio market,  are paying attention to "real receiver performance." I think that is good for TenTec because of their historically  strong commitment to excellent radio performance. ......................Just another assertion - like yours.
Merle - W0EWM