[TenTec] Tuner and amp

James C. Owen, III k4cgy_list at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 27 13:07:16 EST 2006

Hi John,
   Yes I am talking about GG amplifiers. Most take 75-100W drive
for full output. If your Ameritron requires only 40W drive then
that amp is on the verge of being illegal by FCC type acceptance
standards. These standards have been proposed to be changed but
to my knowledge it hasn't happened yet. FCC  97.317 states to be
type accepted the amp must not be capable of being driven to full
designed power with less than 40 watts.  Not capable of
amplifying the RF driving signal by more than 15DB unless the amp
has a designed power of less than 1.5 KW.  To me this means that
a grid driven amplifier on the market today is not legal since
most of them would require much less than 40 watts.
   I'll be glad when this requirement is deleted from the
regulations.  It was put in to prevent CB amplifiers but it was a
failure as only the hams were affected. CB'er seemed to just use
illegal amplifiers and get by with it for the most part.
73 Jim K4CGY